Home School Corner: Running on Empty

 Hey friends, welcome back to the Home School Corner!

Do you ever feel like you are running on empty? Or maybe like you're trying to plough a full quarter with a flat tire?

The last month or two has been a struggle for me. My husband is starting a new work schedule, my kids are growing out of things and into things, this whole 'rona red-to-green thing in NM is really bumming me out, and for the 3rd time, we have had to reschedule what was supposed to be our ten-year anniversary trip to the Mediterranean. Major bummer! 

I was talking to a dear friend last week, and she's in the exact same boat for different reasons. Her exact words were, "I think I need to just leave the kids at my mom's house and then go check into a hotel for about five days to get my brain some rest." I hear you, sister!

For real though. I have commitments, we have school to do, my husband needs my support right now, and everyone wants to eat three solid meals a day, on top of that. (And laundry, and clean dishes, and...) Hence, empty fuel tank; mom still running after those tiny people who are getting waaaaaaay too far ahead somehow! 

What's a mom to do?

Lately I've been reading the book of Acts, and I was noticing how Paul is constantly traveling, ministering, learning of "plots against him," and escaping (sometimes after being beaten/stoned/mobbed/imprisoned) to hit the ministry train again and go through it all. Again. (To be honest, it made my hamster wheel of stress seem paltry by comparison!) 

Now, there are heaps and tons of things to be learned from Paul's ministry, but in my heart and life, these three things really stood out to me that I can apply to my own situation:

1. Paul was motivated and dedicated to something WAY beyond his daily situation. 


This is so obvious throughout Paul's career, but I like how it comes out in Acts 21:13, when disciples are literally weeping at Paul's feet at the dangers he was facing if he chose to go to Jerusalem (which they knew both from practical knowledge and by the Holy Spirit revealing prophetic visions regarding Paul's fate!) Paul replied, "I am not only ready to be imprisoned, but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus." and the disciples responded with, "Let the will of the Lord be done." 

I think I easily get entangled in the daily grind and frustrations and monotony of the season I'm in. When I do that, I forget the bigger picture--the Kingdom perspective--that should be the energizing undercurrent and motivation to each decision and every little chore I do. I'm not just cooking meals for a bunch of hooligan ingrates (although it sometimes feels that way), I'm nourishing the precious little lives the God has entrusted to me for a season, and I am teaching them principles and disciplines of gratitude, bodily health, good manners, etc. 

When I keep my heavenly-minded purpose in focus, it gives new and lasting motivation to my daily grind.

2. Paul used setbacks and interruptions as opportunities.

 I love how in Acts 16-17, when Paul is in Philippi, first he's ministering there, then he's imprisoned, he experiences a miracle and they convert the jailor, then they head out to Berea (but they have to bug out of that town too, and so Paul ends up at Athens waiting for his travelling friends to rejoin him. And he sees the pagan worship, and eventually gets the opportunity to share the gospel at the Areopagus! The bottom line is, wherever he is, Paul makes sure that "in every way...Christ is preached," and we see that truly, for Paul, "to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me." (excerpts from Philippians 1:18, 21, 22)

When I homeschool--when I do anything in life, especially with my kids!--I need to see the opportunities God is giving me in the interruptions. Sometimes, perhaps, I am called to be the enforcer, holding us to task. But sometimes (probably more often than I realize!) God is giving me a real-life opportunity to show how this Gospel message I'm always talking about--this relationship that I claim to have with Christ, with the Holy Spirit living in me--how it looks in this new and different (and not-within-my-plan-and-control) situation.

You've probably heard of teaching our kids to be "resilient" or flexible--and those are good things--but how much better to recognize Providence in daily situations and allow the Spirit to lead and the truth of God's Word to live-out in how we respond to the unexpected? 

3. Paul was always walking in the Spirit, not striving in his own flesh.

This leapfrogs right off the last point--but it deserves attention of its' own. Paul and the early church disciples are constantly being referred to as being filled "with the Holy Spirit," (Acts 13:52) being "forbidden by the Holy Spirit" to go somewhere (Acts 16:6) and resolving to do this or that in the Spirit (Acts 19:21). I think it's easy to slide right past these verses and see that only as a special outpouring that Paul got because he was the "first missionary" or whatever. 

I would urge you to re-think this, though, and recognize that we are all given the gift of the Holy Spirit, and He is there to actually help us deal with the trials and tribulations in this life! Forget Paul for a moment. When Jesus was talking to His disciples before he went to the cross, he told them, "I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I am leaving; for if I do not leave, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you." (John 16:17) If you have the indwelling Holy Spirit then you have the ability to walk in the Spirit--and that is what differentiates us as Christians in this era of history from the rest of the world. Walking in the Spirit can sound intimidating or mystical (when it's really not). I find it the most clear if we simplify it into the acronym, PRAY.

In this situation, PRAY means to simply: PAUSE - REPENT - ASK - YEILD. You pause when you realize that you're definitely leaning on your own strength (which is clear when you have sinned!). You repent of that sin. You ask for the Holy Spirit to lead, guide, and help you (or, "fill" you--not to be confused with indwelling you; because if you're saved, you're already indwelt--He doesn't leave when you sin--but He is also not controlling you when you sin! So you ask Him to take the driver's seat or sit on the throne or whatever analogy makes the most sense in your life.) and you yield control to Him. Then you go forth and do what you're supposed to do! And then, when you fall into a sin pattern again thirty seconds later, repeat the process...but that's part of sanctification and learning to have--hopefully--longer and longer stretches where the Holy Spirit is leading, not your flesh and sin!

So Jesus gave us this Helper, and this is one process by which we can "reset" and ask for the Holy Spirit's help--which is exactly what I need when I'm feeling burned out, frazzled, and DONE. Because I don't get to be done. 

Over here, in my cozy blog-land, I can give you tips on dealing with stress till I'm blue in the face, and I can give you all the homeschool-hacks and pro-mom-tips and whatever else, but the truth of the matter is, I don't know what you need in this moment, and I don't know how you are called to handle the current challenges in your life. God, on the other hand, knows everything about you, right down to the number of hairs on your head! And Jesus, who loved you enough to die for you, has gifted you the Holy Spirit to help you until you meet up with Jesus face-to-face someday in glory. The Holy Spirit "shall guide you in to all truth." (John 16:13) Are you taking advantage of that gift? Paul did--and I'd say he accomplished a fair sight more against worse odds than my situation!

Ladies, we aren't running on empty if we have given our lives over to Jesus. 

"Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest," Jesus said (Matthew 11:28).

Throw yourselves at the feet of Jesus. Be motivated and dedicated by the cross, and the relationship you now get to have with God because of it. Don't let the distractions and interruptions discourage you--take them as the opportunities they are for God to direct your steps beyond your plans. Cling to the Holy Spirit and seek to let Him guide and direct each of your steps--because our strength just isn't enough, but do you know what? God's strength is! 

We don't need five nights away at a hotel (although that would be nice!). We need to lay our burdens down before the Lord. "Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."


Comments